Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Amiga WHDload booter for RetroPie [GUIDE]  (Read 38210 times)

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
Amiga WHDload booter for RetroPie [GUIDE]
« on: August 29, 2016, 01:43:43 PM »

OK  , so my recent enjoyment of playing RetroGames via the Raspberry Pi has led me to want to improve the experience. I hate having to manually set up configs for games, and many people on this forum may already know of my hatred for using ADFs for gaming, when WHDLoad offers such an improved experience.

As such, i've now put together a method, and prepared downloads for running WHDLoad installed amiga games directly from the RetroPie menu

Aim:
- To bring a 'one click to play' experience to Amiga games on RetroPie
- To take advantage of all the elements of WHDLoad and the improvements it brings to the Amiga gaming experience.
- To allow continuous improvement through end-user feedback, which will directly feed into future releases.
- To keep the system 'generic' enough for cross-platform / emulator changes in the future.

The full guide is now available here: http://tinyurl.com/RetroPieAmiga  and includes a video tutorial.

Facebook Group here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1854320841462593/
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:36:20 PM by Hungry Horace »
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

Ultimate114

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
Re: Amiga WHDload booter for RetroPie [GUIDE]
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 07:12:22 AM »

I would like to know how to properly use the "Config Maker". It must be run from the PC, or directly from the RPI?. I would also like to know the exact structure (tree) should have the /RetroPie/roms/amiga folder. Thank you!

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 04:57:43 PM »

The Config Maker is an amiga program.

When you have downloaded it, you will notice it includes all the usual amiga files ... s/ c/ etc so that it is run directly on boot up.

As such, the directories it scans, can be checked from looking at s/startup-sequence

Ultimate114

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »

Thank you very much. But what I really like to know is the exact structure (tree) should terner the /RetroPie/roms/amiga folder. I am not very clear where everything should go. I do something wrong, because once I start RetroPie in the Amiga section, I can not display any game. If possible, I would like to know in detail what the psasos to follow, once everything is copied instead. I would also like to know if the WHD games can be put in ZIP compressed or decompressed folders should be ... and if beyond that, every game must have its own configuration file UAE (and where it should be located). Siento plantear tantas dudas, pero siguiendo este tutorial, no consigo hacer que funcione nada. Thank you!

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 06:40:27 PM »

the games are provided as downloads (above) which should show you the folder structure

Simply unzip the files provided to roms/amiga/

So all .uae files go in:
roms/amiga/

game folders (unzipped only) go in sub-folders such as;

roms/amiga/Games_WHDLoad
roms/amiga/Games_WHDLoad_AGA
roms/amiga/Games_WHDLoad_CD32

...etc...

as i said above you need to look in the s/startup-sequence of the Config Maker to check which folders are scanned. I cannot remember them all at the moment!

If you have completed STEP 1 from above, then even installing only the Config Maker will show this on the main RetroPie menu. However, you do need also the WHDBoot program to actually run anything!

Hope this helps. There are also lots of people who may be able to help you on the facebook group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1854320841462593/

Ultimate114

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 08:49:30 AM »

Thank you very much for your help. I very much appreciate your effort ... and quick answer. And I apologize for the problems caused because of lack of skill in this tutorial. I'll do what you say... I will "investigate" in the group Facebook you mention. Thank you very much!

Amiga01

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 09:06:34 PM »

@Hungry Horace: thank you so much for all the great work! This is exactly what I was longing for! :) The advantages of HDD Roms integrated in Emulation Station!

I've still got a problem though: I want to save individual configurations (resolution, inputs, etc) for each ROM. Even though I can save the settings for individual games/roms and also load them it simply won't automatically load the individual configuration when starting a game...If I press F12 UAE4ARM would even suggest the correct config-file to be loaded and when clicking on it I can apply it - but it doesn't automatically apply the individual setting for the games...is there a way to automaticall load those settings?

Thanks and Regards!

Edit: I'm running uae4arm v0.5 on retropie 4.6
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:10:48 PM by Amiga01 »

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »

first thing to do is to revert to uae4arm 0.4.... 0.5 is incomplete and bugged, so i am not supporting it yet i'm afraid.

To fix your saving/loading config problem you probably need to check the emulator's Config Path selection also (it should match to /pi/roms/amiga)

Secondly, if you are specifying custom configs and resolutions (screen heights, other fixes) please can you feed the list of the games (by listing the settings and a list of game folder names) back to the group (either here or facebook) so that they can be implemented into the main Config Maker settings files.... this is a collaborative effort and the community as a whole benefits form shared game options.

E.g.

ScreenHeight_216:
BarbarianPalace
CaliforniaGames
CaliforniaGames2
ChaosEngine2
ChaosEngine2AGA
ChaseHQ
FuryOfTheFurries

and...

ScreenHeight_256:

AlienBreed
AlienBreed2
AlienBreed2AGA
AlienBreed3D2AGA4MB
AlienBreed3D2AGA4MB
AlienBreed3DAGAFixed
AlienBreedSpecialEdition
AlienBreedTA
AlienBreedTowerAssaultAGA
ApidyaKaiko
Arkanoid
AttackOfTheGreenSmellyAliens
BansheeAGA
BaseJumpers
BattleSquadron
BattleSquadronDemo
Benefactor
BenefactorCD32
Coloris
Commando

These fixes then get rolled out into every future Config Maker and .uae file update, so that the entire community benefits.

Amiga01

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 06:44:54 PM »

@Hungry Horace: thanks again! That did the trick! Wrong configuration path was set.

I would love to contribute something here as well and since I'm about to adjust the resolution for the games I might as well post it here. will update you again.

noledge

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 12:58:38 AM »

Hi,
I really need some help on this and would really appreciate your support.  I have done all the above steps and have placed all the folders/files in the right place as you instructed including the game pack uae files in the retropie/rom/amiga folder (extracted). after following the steps I exited the terminal and went to attempt to load a number of games from Retropie at first I was getting the error that the rom could not be found so i placed the Amiga kick start rom (1.3 and 3.1) into the retropie bios folder (wasn't sure i was supposed to do this just clutching at straws) since then I no longer get the rom error just a black screen so have to quit via f12 and exit. I'm really not a techie person, but just love the Amiga and long to play them on Retropie in the setup you have created which I thank you for its amazing what you have created! I really hope you  are able to help and point me in the right direction, thank you in advance.

SamuraiCrow

• compile-time wierdo
  • Forum Mod
  • A1200
  • Compile-time wierdo
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »

@noledge

Depending on where you got the Kickstart ROM images, they might need an AmigaForever keyfile in the same directory.

noledge

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »

Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch, I managed to sort it out as I had not copied the whdload folder over also duh :). Copied it over and all is working.

One last thing I would also like to have it were that it remembers my input configurations so I don't have to keep entering it in. I know this was answered above "To fix your saving/loading config problem you probably need to check the emulator's Config Path selection also (it should match to /pi/roms/amiga)" but I'm not sure where this is done. Is it in the uae4arm emulation screen under the path or configuration menu, or in config maker and if so how do I access/run config maker?

Once again many thanks for this.

wbox

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 02:33:35 PM »

Hello,

+1 here.

Can't figure out where to save my input settings.

Thanks for your hard work.

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 05:44:46 PM »

Hi guys

I would really recommend the Facebook group for better/quicker feedback on any issues you might have.

Regarding input options, you have to set: the emulator's Config Path selection also (it should match to /pi/roms/amiga)

This is in the 'paths' section of the config (see top option on this screenshot)

https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15542193_10154635633626251_4038234291467885402_n.jpg?oh=5eb35490da89ab5a5c13747a72d206c6&oe=58F53512

However, you may still have issues with input devices on the V0.5 version of the emulator, and via the facebook group there is a binary available of 0.4 with some added options (like setting a button to quit)

noledge

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 08:17:29 PM »

Thank you so much for your help and also the work you have done on this.  I will give this a try I'm not on facebook, but will join now  ;D if I can find a way to help this cause I would be honoured too, thanks again.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022