Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BoingBags  (Read 8700 times)

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
BoingBags
« on: October 29, 2012, 07:52:20 AM »

Are the Boingbags for OS3.5, 3.9 and OS3.1 updates redistributable?

Can't find any reference in the archives saying yes or no.
My shadow says otherwise.

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
Re: BoingBags
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:37:10 AM »

Are the Boingbags for OS3.5, 3.9 and OS3.1 updates redistributable?

Can't find any reference in the archives saying yes or no.

I would say no to BB3 and 4 Unofficial.
But 1 and 2 are, only if you leave them as archives and get user to install them.
They require the original CD for you to install them.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »

I had a nice very long post suggesting ways that the boingbags could be used legally and then I decided to have another look at the readme and found the distribution text. Then I changed the suggestions and then changed them again.

This Boing Bag is available for downloading exclusively from www.amiga.com. Distributing it on any other medium requires permission by Amiga Inc. and HAAGE&PARTNER GmbH.

This clearly states that I cannot distribute these files.

This applies to boingbags 1 and 2 for OS 3.9. The text was not present in the readme of boingbags 1 and 2 for OS 3.5, but I'm going to assume it applies to that too.

Go to the bottom of the post to see the final descision. The text between the lines was the second idea.
------------------------------------------------------
However, I can use an install method that does not violate the distribution statement.

Install methods:
Write, as part of an optional install script, code that extracts the desired/required files and installs them. Whereby:
  • An option to install boingbag updates is provided.
  • The end user must agree to a click through stating that they own the OS.
  • The end user must agree to a disclaimer click through stating that they take sole responsibility for their answers.
  • The end user must provide the BoingBags.
  • The optional boingbag install script extracts the desired/required files and installs them.

FOL if you have any issues with this let me know, getting this right now will avoid any comeback later.

The final decision:
I'm not going to use these BoingBags, too many copyright issues. I can make better use of my time rather than wasting it on these.

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 12:02:54 PM »

I had a nice very long post suggesting ways that the boingbags could be used legally and then I decided to have another look at the readme and found the distribution text. Then I changed the suggestions and then changed them again.

This Boing Bag is available for downloading exclusively from www.amiga.com. Distributing it on any other medium requires permission by Amiga Inc. and HAAGE&PARTNER GmbH.

This clearly states that I cannot distribute these files.

This applies to boingbags 1 and 2 for OS 3.9. The text was not present in the readme of boingbags 1 and 2 for OS 3.5, but I'm going to assume it applies to that too.

Go to the bottom of the post to see the final descision. The text between the lines was the second idea.
However, I can use an install method that does not violate the distribution statement.

Install methods:
Write, as part of an optional install script, code that extracts the desired/required files and installs them. Whereby:
  • An option to install boingbag updates is provided.
  • The end user must agree to a click through stating that they own the OS.
  • The end user must agree to a disclaimer click through stating that they take sole responsibility for their answers.
  • The end user must provide the BoingBags.
  • The optional boingbag install script extracts the desired/required files and installs them.

FOL if you have any issues with this let me know, getting this right now will avoid any comeback later.

The final decision:
I'm not going to use these BoingBags, too many copyright issues. I can make better use of my time rather than wasting it on these.

Could have a link section, regarding updates etc etc and it can take them to the pages where they can be downloaded.
As far as I know, download location no longer exists but there is a user made page for them all.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:03:41 PM »

Yeah, I could do that with a mini-tutorial/how-to with a link to amigaworld.de and the boingbags and also a link to the unofficial boingbag project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022