Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AIAB website updates.  (Read 10473 times)

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
AIAB website updates.
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:11:43 AM »

Website updates will be posted on this thread.

A new release thread will be created for each beta series.

Here is a summary of the planned work for AIAB:

Web Pages:
  • About - 3 parts
    • Part 1 - Description of AIAB.
    • Part 2 - Descriptions of whats on the Site, describe the left menu items and what will be found there.
    • Part 3 - Future of AIAB.
  • Features - 2 Pages
    • Page 1 - Features (2 parts)
      • Part 1 - A brief list of the main components.
      • Part 2 - A brief list of the packages incorporated into AIAB.
    • Page 2 - Features in detail (2 parts)
      • Part 1 - More detailed descriptions of the main components.
      • Part 2 - More detailed descriptions of the packages incorporated into AIAB.
  • Workshop - 4 parts
    • Part 1 - Installation Help. Standard, Any Folder, WinUAE HD and Real Amiga Install.
    • Part 2 - Customising the Workbench tutorials.
    • Part 3 - AIAB package tutorials, using the stuff that makes up AIAB.
    • Part 4 - Hacking the Workbench.
  • Dev (Development) - 2 parts
    • Part 1 - What's needed to build AIAB.
    • Part 2 - The AIAB Installers.
    • Part # - Other Dev Stuff.
  • Links - 2 parts
    • Part 1 - Components of AIAB.
    • Part 2 - Friends of AIAB.

Software/Files:
  • Phase 1 - Build LHA archives of all installations.
  • Phase 2 - Develop new Windows Installer.

HTML Refactoring:
  • Phase 1 - Strict W3C xHTML compliancy.
  • Phase 2 - New design incorporating HTML5, CSS, PHP. Same style and theme, just a different backend.

AIAB Development Cycle:
Note: odd increments are development versions, even increments are public releases.
  • AIAB 10.7 Development Release ( Public release will be 10.8 )
    • Phase 1 - Analyse and document directory/file structure, determine file version/package, obtain latest releases.
    • Phase 2 - Analyse and document installation scripts.
    • Phase 3 - Write and document new installation scripts.
    • Phase 4 - Build new release.
    • Phase 5 - Beta testing.
    • Phase 6 - Public release.
  • AIAB 10.9 Development Release ( Public release will be 11.0 )
    • Phase 1 - Investigate, document and incorporate suggested enhancement/features. Keep it light, feature packs/install options if neccessary.
    • Phase 2 - Write and document new installation scripts.
    • Phase 3 - Build new release.
    • Phase 4 - Beta testing.
    • Phase 5 - Public release.

Note: Some of the work listed here has already been completed or partially completed (but not uploaded) prior to posting this list.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:50:05 PM by MadAngus »
My shadow says otherwise.

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
Re: AIAB website update.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »

The AIAB website has been update with the main page and downloads page getting their links fixed.

The downloads page has had a little face lift whilst keeping the same style and theme.

All the r10.5 upto the 2007 release is available from the download page plus a minor update.

Jump in and see. ;)

The above text has been moved from the first post.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to peterk  over at EAB I now have the r10.6 files, 20071213-aiab-r10.6.7z and 20071213-aiab-afaos.7z which I will get uploaded soon.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:29:13 PM by MadAngus »

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:51:37 AM »

The r10.6 files, 20071213-aiab-r10.6.7z and 20071213-aiab-afaos.7z have been uploaded.
The r10.5 files have their own page see the archive section.
Couple of broken links in download page fixed.
Game pack links removed temporarily pending new permissions.

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »

I've thrown Xenu's Link Sleuth at the website structure to help sort things out.

I have had a good look at Xenu's Link Sleuth output, roughly a hundred or so fixes to be done. Thanks to this tool I should hopefully have the site all fixed up this week, including any new files I am provided with.

Then I need to get new permissions for for the game packs and new component files etc.

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 01:16:25 AM »

The site work is nearly complete, will definitely have the fixed site uploaded by this weekend.

This does not include permissions though.

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:19:48 AM »

That's the website all fixed and ready to be uploaded, so folks if you see a maintenance page that's me working on it. Will probably take a few hours when this happens so be please patient.

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
Re: AIAB website updates.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 06:56:49 AM »

Site is now back online.

The only changes from the original backup is a modified download page and the restructuring of the site.

I've removed a couple of rar's from the archive section as they are just a duplicate of the zips.

That will change in time. ;)

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »

Below is a list of my current priorities for AIAB, I'll keep you updated to my progress.

• Using the Britannic Bold font found get the colouring/gradient figured out.
  • Analyse and document Jaybees scripting and implementation.
  • Get a new updated installation guide written.
  • Create a basic INNO setup Instaler for AIAB.

[Edit 13/10/2012] I'll be spending the next 2-3 weeks concentrating on getting some work done on this and other projects. If I have something I can release, then I will. Until then don't expect much in the way of communication.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:45:42 AM by MadAngus »

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »

Files Removed- Due to some copyright issues regarding some files and packages, and these files/packages not having distribution permissions, all AIAB distributions have been removed temporarily.

I have contacted the copyright holders and distribution permission could not be given.

They will be back up once the packages/files in question have been removed.
- MadAngus

[Edit] Considering the extra workload and the extent of the file analysis (605 files) required to determine and locate updated packages, don't expect to see much happening on the AIAB site until Christmas.

I'm still looking at a Christmas release for r10.7 though. The analysis so far shows a lot of packages that can be updated so it's definitely worth doing.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:15:43 PM by MadAngus »

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 01:36:25 PM »

Thought I'd update you on the state of affairs with the work on AIAB.

Apart from the time lost due to the untimely crash of my internet system, I have been continuing to work (I've got more than one computer) on the file analysis as posted in the AIAB version file check thread.

All package archives have been acquired (newest versions), excepting the ones relating to the 60 files still to be analysed, shouldn't be more that three or four packages to find.

The entire site HTML code has been re-factored and is now W3C strict-xHTML 1.1 compliant based on the HTML 4.01 spec.

I had two major issues with AIAB that for a few days was killing any motivation for the project. These were the licensing of distributions and the future of AIAB.

Let's take the licensing issues first. This basically related to the redistribution of individual files from the third party packages. basically it isn't allowed. The best I can do to comply with this issue is to use two methods.

Method 1:
Older archives will remain as is, no changes, (Except the removal of one piece of commercial software). However the full package archives will be made available for download on the AIAB site, thus complying with the authors wishes in the best way possible.

Only the newest versions of packages will be made available. As many of the older version are not available and I believe this is what the authors would want.

Method 2:
This will relate to any new distribution of AIAB. I can afford to have the older version removed from the site again should an author object to method 1, but I will not take the risk for future versions.

As such all future versions will include the full third-party packages within the AIAB distribution, except those I have received permission for integration. As with method one all the full packages will be available for download from the AIAB site.

Unfortunately this will mean a larger distribution package, around 25MB. This will change back to a smaller archive again (legally), however achieving that is part of a project I'm not ready to announce.

[Edit 12/12/2012] Slight modification of the plan here:
For future version I will create two packages. One will only contain the updated files, same method as with prior distributions. The other will be done as a large package as described above.
    This means that should there be a legal requirement to remove the smaller packages then the large package can be uploaded as a replacement. Basically covering my ass.

Note: All shareware will come as originally intended by the author, i.e. any key file required (e.g. for WHDLoad) will require the end user to have purchased one and provide it for the installation process. Otherwise the shareware restrictions will remain in place.

Regarding the second issue. I was in a dilemma as to were to go once a new version of was released, as most of the components are no longer developed. This issue is now resolved and AIAB has a future and a long term plan thanks to the AROS project and all those that contribute to it.

I will not go into details of what the plans are here until I have done some work and have something to show.

Finally:
The honeymoon period is over and the initial excitement of getting a new release and site updates has dissipated and reality has set in.

I have decided that a complete relaunch is necessary to get this project of the ground again. So rather than trying to get everything done at once piecemeal, I will get all the all analysis done, a new version built, the old archives fixed and website content done and then do a relaunch of the site.

I will however try to get a rebuilt (legalised) r10.6 release back up on the site as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:44:16 PM by MadAngus »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022