Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Amiga Author Hunt  (Read 10456 times)

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
The Great Amiga Author Hunt
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:36:42 PM »

This thread is for logging the progress of searching out Amiga Book Authors and requesting permission to redistribute their books.

I'll be doing this a batch at a time probably every other month in-between working on the AMOS Docs projects.

[Updated 06/12/12]
- Added Acknowledgements
- Added the AMOS in Action to the list.
- Added the AMOS Manuals Set to the list.

[Primary project goals]
  • Get book permissions
  • Purchase books
  • Design Build Scanner
  • Write scanning software
  • Build Website

This is how I see it working:

Ultimate Amiga will be members only access, i.e. must sign in to download/read the books. Ultimate Amiga will provide two services, the download of books and the online reading of books. dbODF is the project I am working on to provide the online reading service.

Classic Amiga will provide the public facing side for downloads, no registration or logging in. There will be some sort of captcha system in place to stop leechers and unauthorised usage from non Amiga related sites and advertisement based commercial sites.

Authorised Book List

The following list details the books that their respective Authors (the copyright holders) have given permission to convert to online formats and redistribute online. Please see the Copyright Notices and the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the post
The AMOS Manuals Set - Copyright Francois Lionet
  • Easy Amos User Guide - Mel Croucher
  • AMOS creator User Guide - by Stephen Hill
  • AMOS Compiler User Guide - by Stephen Hill
  • AMOS 3D User Guide - by Anthony Wilkes and Richard Lewis
  • AMOS Pro User Guide - Mel Croucher and Stephen Hill
  • AMOS Pro Compiler User Guide - by Stephen Hill
  • And Supplemental material
Mastering Amiga AMOS - by Phil South - June 1993 - 252 pages - Hardback: ISBN 1873308191 Paperback: ISBN 1873308124
Amiga Workbench Booster Pack - by Bruce Smith and Paul Andreas Overaa - Feb 1996 - 512 pages - ISBN 1873308418
Insider Guide Series: Amiga 600 - by Bruce Smith - Jan 1993 - 256 pages - ISBN 1873308140
Insider Guide Series: Amiga 1200 - by Bruce Smith - Feb 1993 - 256 pages - ISBN 1873308159
Insider Guide Series: Amiga Workbench 3 A-Z - by Bruce Smith - May 1994 - 256 pages - ISBN 1873308280
Mastering Amiga - by Bruce Smith and Mark Webb - April 1993 - 320 pages - ISBN 1873308175
Mastering Amiga DOS 2 - Volume 1 - by Bruce Smith and Mark Smiddy - August 1992; 2nd edition - 416 pages - ISBN 1873308108
Mastering Amiga DOS 2 - Volume 2 - by Bruce Smith and Mark Smiddy - August 1992; 2nd edition - 368 pages - ISBN 1873308094
Mastering Amiga DOS 3 Tutorial - by Mark Smiddy and Bruce Smith - Nov 1993 - 416 pages - ISBN 1873308205
Mastering Amiga Workbench 2 - by Bruce Smith - Sept 1992 - 320 pages - ISBN 1873308086
Total Amiga Amigados - By Bruce Smith - Oct 1995 - 416 pages - ISBN 1873308566
Total Amiga Workbench - by Bruce Smith - Oct 1995 - 352 pages - ISBN 1873308558
Ultimate AMOS - by Jason Holborn - Nov 1993 - 426 pages - ISBN 1898275025
AMOS in Action: A Practical Guide to Mastering AMOS on the Amiga - by Anne Tucker and Len Tucker - Jan 1993 - 140 pages - ISBN 074570221X

Acknowledgements:
François Lionet of clickteam.com for giving permission for the Mandarin/Europress AMOS manuals.
Phil South Author of Mastering Amiga AMOS for allowing his book to be converted and redistributed. Going Down Writing.
Jason Holborn Author of Ultimate AMOS for allowing his book to be converted and redistributed. bardophotographic.
Aaron Fothergill Author of the TOME Extension and AMOS Club Newsletters for allowing the TOME Extension and newsletters to be converted and redistributed.Strange Flavour Ltd
Bruce Smith For giving permission for all Bruce Smith authored Amiga titles.
Anne and Len Tucker Author of AMOS In Action for allowing their book to be converted and redistributed.

FOL and Hungry Horace for their encouragement, support and a place to stay :) "Ultimate Amiga", and for offering to host the online readable books via dbODF.
Harrison for offering to host the downloading of the books (public facing) from the classicamiga's book wiki.
Peter over at the AmiBay for helping to track down Jason HolBorn, Author of Ultimate AMOS.
Paul Townsend of AmigaOne Productions for helping contact Anne Tucker.

and all those who have offered their support and encouragement.

Copyright Notices
AMOS Documents and software are copyright François Lionet and respective contributors.
Mastering Amiga AMOS is copyright Phil South.
Ultimate AMOS is copyright Jason Holborn. (To be verified by Future Publishing)
TOME Extension and AMOS Club Newsletters are copyright Aaron Fothergill.
AMOS In Action is copyright Anne and Len Tucker.

The following List of books are copyright Bruce Smith and collaborating authors, in addition layout, design and content of these books are copyright Bruce Smith.
  • Amiga Workbench Booster Pack - by Bruce Smith and Paul Andreas Overaa
  • Insider Guide Series: Amiga 600 - by Bruce Smith
  • Insider Guide Series: Amiga 1200 - by Bruce Smith
  • Insider Guide Series: Amiga Workbench 3 A-Z - by Bruce Smith
  • Mastering Amiga - by Bruce Smith and Mark Webb
  • Mastering Amiga DOS 2 - Volume 1 - by Bruce Smith and Mark Smiddy
  • Mastering Amiga DOS 2 - Volume 2 - by Bruce Smith and Mark Smiddy
  • Mastering Amiga DOS 3 Tutorial - by Mark Smiddy and Bruce Smith
  • Mastering Amiga Workbench 2 - by Bruce Smith
  • Total Amiga Amigados - By Bruce Smith
  • Total Amiga Workbench - by Bruce Smith

Terms and Conditions
Distribution of these books unless otherwise stated are restricted to ultimateamiga.co.uk, classicamiga.com and combinedworks.org.

Distributing these books alongside unauthorised work is prohibited regardless of who the author is.

Manuals/Books or materials from this project may not be printed or sold for commercial purposes nor may they be redistributed without written prior consent from the copyright holders..

The Manuals/Books or materials may not be redistributed on advertisement supported websites without written prior consent.

Distribution of these books unless otherwise stated are restricted to ultimateamiga.co.uk, classicamiga.com and combinedworks.org.

Ultimate AMOS by Jason Holborn Copyright Licence Agreement:
Distribution of the book on Amiga related sites is permitted providing no charge is made for it and that the xAMOS and Ultimate AMOS projects remain non-commercial. Should either project become commercial, the permission to distribute Ultimate AMOS is automatically withdrawn until which time an appropriate license fee is agreed.

The copyright holders reserve the right to withdraw consent at any time, notices of this will be given.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:36:59 PM by MadAngus »
My shadow says otherwise.

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
Re: The Great Amiga Author Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:04:21 AM »

Update on book permissions:

Bruce Smith confirmed that the copyright for the Phil South book 'Mastering Amiga AMOS' has indeed reverted back to Phil. Infact for all Bruce Smith Books published all copyright's have reverted back to the authors.

And ;D

Got permission to reproduce and distribute all Bruce Smith authored Amiga titles. I have asked Bruce to confirm the exact titles this permission covers.

But here is the possible's list to get your mouth watering:

Mastering AmigaDOS 2 V1 by BS & MS
Mastering AmigaDOS 2 V2 by BS & MS
Mastering Amiga Workbench 2 by B.Smith
Mastering Amiga by BS & MW (Mastering Amiga: Beginners)
Mastering AmigaDOS 3 Tutorial by BS & MS
A600 Insider Guide by B. Smith
A1200 Insider Guide by B. Smith
Workbench 3 A-Z by B. Smith (? Unlikely as it is still available from Amazon.co.uk)

Once confirmation is received and were relevant for the AMOS Pro resource kit project I'll add those books to the todo list. The rest will be done as part of the classicamiga.com bookshelf project and will also be available here at UA depending on server space and whether or not FOL decides they should be.

I will searching out any books that have already been scanned, but if you already know of any of these books that have been scanned please point me in their direction. Also if you are willing to do scans of any of these books please inform me.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 02:09:10 AM by MadAngus »

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 12:26:05 AM »

Update More books

Here is the list of books authorised for redistribution and are copyright Bruce Smith and collaborating authors, in addition layout, design and content of these books are copyright Bruce Smith.

Amiga Workbench Booster Pack - by Bruce Smith and Paul Andreas Overaa - Feb 1996 - 512 pages - ISBN 1873308418
Insider Guide Series: Amiga 600 - by Bruce Smith - Jan 1993 - 256 pages - ISBN 1873308140
Insider Guide Series: Amiga 1200 - by Bruce Smith - Feb 1993 - 256 pages - ISBN 1873308159
Insider Guide Series: Amiga Workbench 3 A-Z - by Bruce Smith - May 1994 - 256 pages - ISBN 1873308280
Mastering Amiga - by Bruce Smith and Mark Webb - April 1993 - 320 pages - ISBN 1873308175
Mastering Amiga DOS 2 - Volume 1 - by Bruce Smith and Mark Smiddy - August 1992; 2nd edition - 416 pages - ISBN 1873308108
Mastering Amiga DOS 2 - Volume 2 - by Bruce Smith and Mark Smiddy - August 1992; 2nd edition - 368 pages - ISBN 1873308094
Mastering Amiga DOS 3 Tutorial - by Mark Smiddy and Bruce Smith - Nov 1993 - 416 pages - ISBN 1873308205
Mastering Amiga Workbench 2 - by Bruce Smith - Sept 1992 - 320 pages - ISBN 1873308086
Total Amiga Amigados - By Bruce Smith - Oct 1995 - 416 pages - ISBN 1873308566
Total Amiga Workbench - by Bruce Smith - Oct 1995 - 352 pages - ISBN 1873308558

Also note as a condition of getting permission to distribute these books some restrictions have been put in place as follows.
Distributing these books alongside unauthorised work is prohibited regardless of who the author is.

-----------------------

Current status of other books in the search.

Stephen Hill author of 'Amiga Games Maker's Manual'
The publishers forwarded my request to the address they had, but no updates from the publishers or response from Stephen.

However there is a Stephen Hill known as self_shadow who is the 3D Technical Lead at Ubisoft Montreal, Canada. A coincidence, probably. I've attached a picture of this Stephen hill, could be the son of the one I am looking for or he has aged damn well.

Anybody able to confirm this Stephen Hill or am I miles out.

Jason Holborn author of 'Ultimate AMOS'
I contacted Jason Holborn through his website and got a response. He confirmed that he is the author of 'Ultimate AMOS' but he didn't get my first message. I forward the original message to him and am waiting for a response.

Dicon Peeke author of Writing role playing games for Amos
As yet, no response to my eMail, however as far as I can determine Richard 'Dicon' Peeke has not been active on the internet since October 2011. Dicon, hope your okay.

Anne Tucker and Len Tucker authors of 'AMOS in Action: A Practical Guide to Mastering AMOS on the Amiga'
Zero success

Peter J Hickman author of the "All About AMOS" Newsletters.
Zero success in finding Peter. Peter are you there, hello, is anybody out there?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:30:42 PM by MadAngus »

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »

Progress Update: Good and Bad News

The Good News :)
Jason Holborn author of 'Ultimate AMOS'
Just got a reply from Jason (Now Jason Brown, bardophotographic), and he has given permission for Amiga related sites to distribute his book, pending confirmation from future publishing on the copyright status of the book.

Restrictions on distribution: xAMOS and UltimateAmiga must remain non commercial, if this changes a license fee will be required. Also the book may not be distributed with any kind of commercial software or on commercial sites, a license fee will be required for any form of commercial distribution.

I'll contact Future Publishing to confirm the copyright Status and to request permission to distribute if the copyright remains with them.

The Bad News  :(
Current status of other books in the search.

Status: I'm Going to give this one last attempt and then I'm closing the book on this one.
Conclusion: Unlikely

Dicon Peeke author of 'Writing role playing games for Amos'
Conclusion: Permission Denied

Anne Tucker and Len Tucker authors of 'AMOS in Action: A Practical Guide to Mastering AMOS on the Amiga'

Changing this, got to much work todo to chase this book any further.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 09:37:36 PM by MadAngus »

MadAngus

• There is no spoon.
  • Site Admin
  • A500
  • AMOS Docs / AIAB Dev
    • AIAB (Amiga In A Box)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 07:56:40 PM »

Progress Update:

Permission Granted
With the help of Paul Townsend of AmigaOne Productions I was able to contact Anne Tucker and she has kindly allowed the AMOS in Action book to be part of this preservation project.
Conclusion: Permission Granted

Status Updates
Conclusion: Remove if requested.

Conclusion: Remove if requested.

Got a response from Future Publishing and although they cannot establish the copyright status of the following books/supplements they have no problem with distribution within this project if they are the publishers. I now need to track down the authors and get their permissions as well.

• Amiga Format Presents A1200s, CD-ROMs and the Things You Have to Know -
    by Steve Faragher - 27 Jul 1995 - 100 pages - ISBN 1898275262
  • Amiga Format ScreenPlay 2 - by Maff Evans - 1991 - 195 pages - ASIN
    B000XQXOO0
  • Complete Amiga C - by Cliff Ramshaw - 1994 - 314 Pages - ISBN 1898275106
  • The Amiga Format Bumper Book of Amiga Hints and Tips - by Veitch nick
    (edited) - 1993 - 98 pages - ASIN B0000COLJ2
  • The Amiga Format Guide to Amiga DeskTop Video - by Derek Whiteley - 1
    Dec 1993 - 300 pages - ISBN 1898275084
  • The Amiga Shopper PD Directory - by Ian Wrigley, Phil South and Jason
    Holborn - Dec 1993 - 526 pages - ISBN 1898275114
  • Amiga format: Get the most out of your Amiga - Unknown Author - 1992 -
    168 pages - ISBN 1872666051
  • Amiga Format Presents: Get into CD-ROM with your A1200 Start-up Guide  -
    Unknown (Author - year - pages - ISBN) - Magazine Supplement
  • Amiga Format Presents: Get into the Net with your Amiga Start-up Guide -
    Unknown (Author - year - pages - ISBN) - Magazine Supplement

morpa

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 12:42:10 PM »

Any news on this project?

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 05:49:20 PM »

Any news on this project?

Not sure, haven't heard from Angus for almost two years now.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022