Author Topic: MacVICE  (Read 91906 times)

Offline lallafa

• A600
  • MacVICE & DI64 Dev
    • lallafa's Blog
MacVICE
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:57:44 PM »
Hi everybody!

I am your fellow MacVICE developer and I am happy to have a new place here for us Mac+CBM Addicts! Thanks grasstust!

This thread will be the somewhat "official" forum of MacVICE...

I will post news or updates on MacVICE here....

And for you its the place for queries, bug reports or suggestions

Here is the MacVICE Homepage: http://lallafa.de/blog/index.php/macvice/
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 06:59:21 PM by lallafa »

Offline lallafa

• A600
  • MacVICE & DI64 Dev
    • lallafa's Blog
Re: MacVICE
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
First MacVICE news:

I have built new snapshots on 10.2.2008 for both VICE and VICEplus...

VICE is developer version 1.22.8 + own cocoa patches not yet submitted.
The VICE+Gtk Version now supports GL rendering and canvas resize (enable HW scaling option for that).
The VICE+Cocoa has some new more Menus unghosted in x64 and Dialogs added.

VICEplus is current SVN checkout.

Offline MagerValp

• A600
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 10:23:26 PM »
Excellent! I just tested the latest Cocoa build, and it's coming along nicely. A lot of stuff doesn't work right though:

• The Keyboard is completely misconfigured, and I can't type anything.
    Dumping the keyset gives me a vkm containing:
    !CLEAR
    !LSHIFT 1 7
    !RSHIFT 6 4
    !VSHIFT RSHIFT
    0 -3 0
    0 -3 1
    and nothing else (except comments and empty lines).
  • In the monitor, if you type a command (say "i"), and then hold down return, the monitor window loses focus and starts to beep.
  • CMD-Q brings up an Are you sure? requester, but No is the default, which is backwards.

I have a MacBook Core Duo 1.83 GHz, MacOS X 10.5.2, Swedish locale.

Offline lallafa

• A600
  • MacVICE & DI64 Dev
    • lallafa's Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 04:50:13 PM »
The Keyboard problem is often caused by the different keymap file the Gtk and the Cocoa version use. If you saved a configuration in one version then the other one won't work anymore. The X11/Gtk use x11_sym.vkm and Cocoa uses osx_sym.vkm...

I think intdroducing different config files for the different ports might be a good idea....

I'll have a look into the other issues soon...

Offline MagerValp

• A600
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 07:00:31 AM »
Since I also use the X11 version (compiled into /usr/local/bin), that might be the case. The Cocoa version is probably better off using ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Application Support instead of ~/.vice.

Offline Ruliovega

• A600
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 08:19:32 PM »
Just Tested X64 Cocoa on my Macbook pro Intel OSX 10.4.11 and it works great. Had the problem with the keyboard but managed to solve it easily with your previous post.
Is there any GL support for this version?
Looking forward to the next update and more video options :)

Offline franticHT

• A600
    • Little Computer People Demo Party
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »
Hello!

First of all: Great work with a native leopard version of VICE! It is surely needed!

I downloaded the latest Vice-Cocoa-Leofix-version from your site (after feb 10, so I guess it should be the most recent one?). It works fine, but when I  use the launcher I get the following output:

008-02-20 12:05:37.990 x64[21414:60b] NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
2008-02-20 12:05:37.991 x64[21414:60b] NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
2008-02-20 12:05:37.992 x64[21414:60b] NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
2008-02-20 12:05:37.993 x64[21414:60b] NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
2008-02-20 12:05:37.993 x64[21414:60b] NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
2008-02-20 12:05:37.994 x64[21414:60b] NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
2008-02-20 12:05:37.994 x64[21414:60b] NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
2008-02-20 12:05:37.995 x64[21414:60b] NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
2008-02-20 12:05:37.995 x64[21414:60b] NSDocumentController Info.plist warning: The values of CFBundleTypeRole entries must be 'Editor', 'Viewer', 'None', or 'Shell'.
Reading configuration file `/Users/matsandren/.vice/vicerc'.
2008-02-20 12:05:38.308 x64[21414:60b] invalid display
mac_joy: found 0 joysticks/gamepads in 4 HID devices

It does start though, despite the warnings. However, the window is not opening on front of other windows but hides behind others. When using CMD+<tab> to switch to it, it is last in the list. So.. I guess there is one or a few things here which is not working perfectly as they should.

I am new to mac, so I am not too good at giving the relevant details I guess. I did try to just paste a new entry into the Info.plist xml-file, in order to try to set that CFBundleTypeRole-key (which is not in the Info.plist at all) to different things (Editor/none/Viewer/shell), but it doesn't make a difference. Possibly I didn't do it correctly.

Let me know if I can do something to test it more thoroughly.

Have a nice day!

//FTC

Offline MagerValp

• A600
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 07:46:22 PM »
I found another bug: ⌘P is mapped to both Machine->Pause and Settings...->Peripheral Printers... (and brings up the latter).

BTW, do you need application and document icons?

Offline lallafa

• A600
  • MacVICE & DI64 Dev
    • lallafa's Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 07:35:07 AM »
@franticHT:

Yes the leopard fix version still had issues with some missing entries in Info.plist. I added them already in the current snapshot...

@MagerValp:

Oops... I need to move printer settings to alt+cmd+p ;)

Concerning icons: I really appreciate any kind of contribution of high res mac icons for MacVICE!
I am more of a coder and no graphics artist so currently only a VICE app icon and a very generic document icon exists. What's really missing are icons for special data file types including disk images, tape images, cartridges, snapshots...

Moreover, I'd like to add a toolbar to the MacVICE window (like every other mac app does). There the most common commands (mount image, stop, monitor, ...) should be placed and also need decent icons. Additionally, I'd like to move the overcrowded snapshot menu into a small tool window with icons for stop, start, play, and so on...

So everybody doing graphics here: launch your photoshop, start drawing and help out making MacVICE a real Mac App experience ;)

Icons are 128x128 Pixel in size with RGB and alpha channel. Best use lossless TIFF for storage.

Offline MagerValp

• A600
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 07:55:51 AM »
So everybody doing graphics here: launch your photoshop, start drawing and help out making MacVICE a real Mac App experience ;)

Icons are 128x128 Pixel in size with RGB and alpha channel. Best use lossless TIFF for storage.

Actually they're 512x512 now with Leopard :) I'll see if I can find some spare time, it's been a while since I did some gfx work.

Any chance we can get a quick build using ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Preferences for the VICE support files? Right now I'm stuck using the old X11 version because of the .vicerc keyboard conflict.

Offline MagerValp

• A600
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 02:24:56 PM »
Here's a quick mockup using Terminal.app as a base for the icons:

http://www.cling.gu.se/~cl3polof/vice/

Comments? Critique? Bad idea? Good idea?

Offline lallafa

• A600
  • MacVICE & DI64 Dev
    • lallafa's Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
Hey, really nice icons... They allude to the new "metal frame" look introduced in Leopard for System Prefs and Terminal.app... I like them! Now on to the file types :D

And I have been busy, too: a fresh snapshot is online!

vice-1.22.8-r393_20080903

* Printer Settings has new short cut
* store Settings in Preferences Path: ~/Library/Preferences/org.viceteam.x64/
* added Machine Video Standard Menu
* added Video Rendering Menu
* added Sound Settings Menu
* correctly activate App on first Canvas
* OpenGL output syncs to VBlank
* rewrote OpenGL setup and redraw (@grasstust: does this help for you?)
* enabled Warp Mode

Offline MagerValp

• A600
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 07:57:11 PM »
Hey, really nice icons... They allude to the new "metal frame" look introduced in Leopard for System Prefs and Terminal.app... I like them! Now on to the file types :D

I think I'll finish the application icons first, there's still a lot of work to do, including small icons.

What file type icons are needed? 5.25" floppy, 3.5" disk, cassette tape, and cartridge at least.

And I have been busy, too: a fresh snapshot is online!

vice-1.22.8-r393_20080903

Great! Shouldn't that be 20080309 though? :)

Works great here. The "monitor beeps bug is still there", and I also noticed weird behaviour if you try to close the monitor window with the close button. CMD-Option-M, i RETURN, click close and it repeats the i command instead of closing the window. x command exits properly.

With the vicerc change I can finally use this as my main VICE port. w00t!

Offline grasstust

• Forum Mod
  • A600
    • Doremac - Amiga Emulation on MAC
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 06:08:53 PM »
Ah! Greatness! Yes, the new MacVice refreshes perfectly and I'm back on my emulation streak! :)

I do like the icons, they are nicely designed, but I think they lack punch. They're a bit too... uhm... Boring if you don't mind me saying so. They lack personality and smartness. I tend to like character icons like VLC, MameOSX, Cyberduck, Tacoedit, etc. That has a concrete thing and not just a screenshot or a logo or whatever. I do also realize that your set of Icons will make the complete line of applications look nicer all together.

Offline MagerValp

• A600
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 06:18:51 PM »
Yes, I agree, unique shapes would be more fun. I just don't have the graphics skills for that :) Though if someone could provide well lit highres photos of the machines against a plain background I could probably work with that. It'd have to be someone with a tripod and access to all VICE machines though...