Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Project: Serious Aliens (general discussion)  (Read 24384 times)

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
Project: Serious Aliens (general discussion)
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:06:28 AM »

Ok... i've decided, since i am -slowly- working on this project now to post in here the message about it I had sent to Zetr0, to see if he was interested in being involved.

This is something Graham Humphrey and I were going to work on together. I know he's been a bit busy of late, but it would be great to have him still on-board. It's a project i'd like to collaborate on, in order that I can learn Blitz myslef (with some guidance) ... Ive never even managed to get a nice comfortable working setup of BB2, so that alone would be a nice start!

Title: Serious Aliens

Team:  2012 - As appearing on the game credits:
Game Design, Coding & Audio: Hungry Horace
Production Support : Skateblind
Programming Advisor: BooBoo
Game Graphics: Osiris37  [provisional]
Artwork: Kitty   [provisional]
3D Modelling: Emuchicken   [provisional]
Playtesting: Anemos
Online Host: FOL

Genre: Top-down Shoot-em-up

Graphical Style: Sensible Software (in-game) , Graphic Novels (cut-scenes etc)

Language: Blitz Basic 2 AMOS

About: It's effectively an Alien Breed / Chaos Engine clone, but in the style of the Sensible Software games. An homage to the film 'Aliens' but with my own nods to Dr. Who, star wars and Asimov thown in ... being the multiplayer obsessive i am, i had also dreamed of the game being 3-4 player... and even better than that, i'd love it to multiplayer over TCP/IP, but that is a dream way beyond my abilities!

Game-wise, my idea was to build a kind of 'generic' game engine from which one could build maps, and with simple customisations you'd have endless options. TBH, i'd like to know this is firmly in-place and being developed before even thinking about menus/overheads etc.

The game would use a similar mission objective system to Cannon Fodder (i.e, a number from certain possibles; destroy all opponents, or bases, or key points like power generators etc, or activate a number of triggers) ...
it might even be worthwhile building some kind of trigger/event system similar to the one i discovered in Bloodwych, as I'm sure this must be how CE largely works. (eg; event 1, toggle, door open/close @ x20y03 ... event 2, remove wall @ x02 y12 etc)

The game engine could be largely built up using Cannon Fodder sprite rips (they are easy enough to obtain) , but it is the importance of getting something as smooth running and as 'active' (read; decent number of sprites) as that which has stopped me from making this game in AMOS. BB2 i feel will cope with it much better.

this game has been a dream of mine for about 5-6 years now, and i'd love to get the ball rolling on it. Alas, i cannot do it alone without BB2 knowledge!

References: Inspiration for other artwork, design etc , as well as coming from Sensible Software, comes from my own 'space art' which you can see some of here:

http://www.djcresswell.com/live/media.html

and i have a lovely book which i could scan some of showing Giger's concept artwork for Alien.

i also have a zip file i sent to Graham of lots of bits and pieces (largely gfx rips) although i think much of that would be better off taken 'from fresh'.

Music: The music is mostly done in MED format, now being converted to Protracker Mod. I have three tunes; menu/intro , mission screen and game over... the only changes i am making are the addition of more variations.

Sound FX: i started some speech for in-game but i will have to re-record those. They are just 'snippets' like the ones used in Dune 2. Obviously, this is something i'd like to do myself, but it's not that hard to build up a small FX library for a game like this anyway.

System Requirements: 1 meg ECS is possible, but perhaps load times would be massive. 2 meg AGA might be preferable and give a lot more options. It would be a consideration for further-down the line i think. I write for HD usage anyway.

Storyline: i also have a storyline drafted, but i wont go into that just yet. It's nothing too clever, but enough to have some Asimov-esque social/political commentary as i think all good sci-fi should do.

Here on www.ultimateamiga.com where i would like to build, not only a project team, with diaries , logs etc, where it is well known am always looking to expand information for a developer base. Anyone interested in being a part of this, please feel free to post in this thread :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:00:05 PM by Hungry Horace »
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
Re: Project: Serious Aliens (general discussion)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:30:37 AM »

sounds good... 

Mission Completed once you escape from the level (Alien Breed), or once youve completed the objective (cannon fodder) ? ;-)

doesnt matter really... sounds like a good project though

mihcael

• Filth Infatuated!
  • Forum Mod
  • A600
  • Child of Amiga
    • It's Brutal - Amiga Links
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:40:51 AM »

hmm, sounds interesting!!

I would be happy to help out with graphics if Dastardly would like a hand!
And a website should it be required!

my idea was to build a kind of 'generic' game engine from which one could build maps,
Made me thinks of that BOH, (which is a current release, but ive never played it)! i think they have taken a themeing approach where graphics can be easily changed.

Will be interesting to see the progress on this one!!  :)
It's Brutal, and Inexcusable!

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:57:56 AM »

i am happy to make this a proper development team effort, so any assistance on graphics especially will really help ease the burden of making this game, and hopefully push things along a lot more.

re: level completion, this really depends on how the maps end up being put together. I'd like a "open" approach like AB:TA if possible, with the missions as a side element, which open up more possibilities as you go on.

One thing the game will likely need once the engine is in place, is graphic sets and map designs! I will sketch up something on paper for how i think the 'universal' map will look and post it here. Should give a feel for level types as well.

Graham Humphrey

• Amiga Guru
  • A600
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 10:35:53 AM »

Just to confirm that I am definitely up for helping out with this project - as soon as Tank Wars Deluxe is finished I will be fully committed to this game. I want to get back into programming again as I'd kinda forgotten how much I enjoyed it, and am a bit low on inspiration for ideas of my own so working on someone else's idea with (hopefully) a group of people together seems to be ideal.

BooBoo

• Amiga Guru
  • A600
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 02:21:33 AM »

Horace youve gone to the Dark side -Blitz Basic :D
Anyway sounds like a great project - If a Working/Good setup of BB2 does get upload can I get a copy :)

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:15:06 AM »

Horace youve gone to the Dark side -Blitz Basic :D
Anyway sounds like a great project - If a Working/Good setup of BB2 does get upload can I get a copy :)

chck the downloads section, i just forgot to post about it ;)

mihcael

• Filth Infatuated!
  • Forum Mod
  • A600
  • Child of Amiga
    • It's Brutal - Amiga Links
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:23:03 AM »

probably deserves its own topic, but!  :P

A fella on EAB has been showing some of his pixel work from amiga games, including Elfmania!! How about getting someone like that on the team????
http://www.miharinne.1g.fi/amiga/Amiga_index.html
It's Brutal, and Inexcusable!

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 08:30:19 AM »

Hmm... inspired by Aliens, Dr. Who, star wars and Asimov? I'm liking the sound of this project!

probably deserves its own topic, but!  :P

A fella on EAB has been showing some of his pixel work from amiga games, including Elfmania!! How about getting someone like that on the team????
http://www.miharinne.1g.fi/amiga/Amiga_index.html

The artwork from that link you posted looks top notch!

BooBoo

• Amiga Guru
  • A600
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:35:42 AM »

Just to confirm that I am definitely up for helping out with this project - as soon as Tank Wars Deluxe is finished
I still think some tiles from another game like MaxRally or a mixture of fresh and recycled graphics might work for you.
chck the downloads section, i just forgot to post about it ;)
Thanks :) - Ive had a realy good play with your NZS editor and its great realy impressed I guess your be makeing some kind of similar Level Editor for this new project? maybe a general level editor could be made at some point for all to use in there projects.

Good luck guys :)

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »

I find it both sad and amusing that most the games this guy designed graphics for were unreleased...
Im sure the gfx he did for the (unreleased) expansion were better than the real elfmania graphics though  ::)

Anemos

• Nothing
  • Forum Mod
  • A2000
  • =/\=
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 06:56:37 AM »

oh oh.. now i want to learn Blitz Basic.. ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyjl1oX0hDQ&feature=related
keep memory,s as treasure

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 12:45:57 AM »

please continue to use this thread for general project discussion.

However, technical requests for those involved in the team have now moved to the private developer board. If anyone wishes to join the team, get in contact here and i will arrange you suitable access. General demos etc once ready will of course be displayed here for all.

@ Anemos - i'm using the Amiga version!

Graham Humphrey

• Amiga Guru
  • A600
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 09:23:19 AM »

Sorry if I am having a stupid moment, but (a) do I already have access (which I suspect I do) and (b) where is it?

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:23:05 AM »

Sorry if I am having a stupid moment, but (a) do I already have access (which I suspect I do) and (b) where is it?

1) yes you do, as an 'amiga guru' (contributor)
2) Look near the top of the forum for "guru meditation" board, or recent topic "serious aliens upload"

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022