Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading WHDLoad  (Read 4971 times)

Voljega

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
Upgrading WHDLoad
« on: December 04, 2017, 08:29:23 PM »

Hello everyone, well I don't know if this is the right section, but after carefully seeing all of them I couldn't find one which seemed more suited.
The forum seems a little dead, and I was told there was a facebook group, but even after managing against my will to drag myself there, I couildn't find it !

I'm Voljega, I have been interested in Amiga for the past two years, well I was already in the eighties but back then I had an Amstrad CPC so Amiga was just an (expensive) dream !

So in the past two years I have been developing a custom solution to launch Amiga games in ADF and WHDLoad on Recalbox, kinda like what Horace is doing with Retropie

But today I am here to ask questions for myself.

I have a carefully sorted and scraped collection of amiga games in WHDL format which dates to at least two years, and so is the WHDLoad 'package' used to launch the game, so looking at the whdload.de page I can see I'm a few years behind.
I'm totally unsure about somethings regarding upgrading all that so I wanted to ask the following questions :
- How do you upgrade the WHDLoad package (I mean the one in 18.3 right now) from my old version ?
- This is the most crucial point for me : Is it guaranteed that all my games in WHDL dumped for a previous version of the package will still work ? Is it 100% retrocompatible ?
- Finally, is it possible to upgrade a game in WHDL format from say two years ago with the corrections done today. For instance, if I want to update Hero Quest for which a new whdload thing was uploaded last friday, can I just get the archive and use it to upgrade my previous WHDL version of Hero Quest ?
If yes how can I do that ? Just copy the newly released archive over my game ?

Thank you for youre response

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
Re: Upgrading WHDLoad
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 09:13:41 AM »

Hello everyone, well I don't know if this is the right section, but after carefully seeing all of them I couldn't find one which seemed more suited.
The forum seems a little dead, and I was told there was a facebook group, but even after managing against my will to drag myself there, I couildn't find it !

I'm Voljega, I have been interested in Amiga for the past two years, well I was already in the eighties but back then I had an Amstrad CPC so Amiga was just an (expensive) dream !

So in the past two years I have been developing a custom solution to launch Amiga games in ADF and WHDLoad on Recalbox, kinda like what Horace is doing with Retropie

But today I am here to ask questions for myself.

I have a carefully sorted and scraped collection of amiga games in WHDL format which dates to at least two years, and so is the WHDLoad 'package' used to launch the game, so looking at the whdload.de page I can see I'm a few years behind.
I'm totally unsure about somethings regarding upgrading all that so I wanted to ask the following questions :
- How do you upgrade the WHDLoad package (I mean the one in 18.3 right now) from my old version ?
- This is the most crucial point for me : Is it guaranteed that all my games in WHDL dumped for a previous version of the package will still work ? Is it 100% retrocompatible ?
- Finally, is it possible to upgrade a game in WHDL format from say two years ago with the corrections done today. For instance, if I want to update Hero Quest for which a new whdload thing was uploaded last friday, can I just get the archive and use it to upgrade my previous WHDL version of Hero Quest ?
If yes how can I do that ? Just copy the newly released archive over my game ?

Thank you for youre response

As far as I have seen, yes its 100% compatible. I normally, just replace the WHDLoad exe in C:.

I would imagine, you would need to redo the WHDLoad dumped game to update it.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »

The answer is mixed.

FOL is correct that you can just update WHDload in the _BootWHD/c/ folder

However , although it is always intended to be backwards compatible... things can happen and it is not unknown for some things to break (they are usually fixed quite quickly)

You will get all of the benefits of the Whdload update, but really need to make aure the .slave files are also updated. 95% of these are fine to be “swapped” for updated versions, bi and very occasionally need a full reinstall of th games. (the ReadMe will usually say)

Hope that helps
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

Voljega

• A600
  • Generic Amiga User
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:33:17 PM »

Yes clearly, thank you both :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022